About a week ago, my family was invited to one of our very close friends house for a “cocktail hour and lace exhibit.” When my mom came back and showed me all the pictures she took and the things she learned I was immediately inclined to share.
The collector, Svetlana Berlinsky, has been collecting lace, learning the intricacies of the craft and researching the different kinds of lace for over 20 years.
Before immigrating to America from current day Belarus, Svetlana took a course and actually learned how to make lace. At that time, nobody knew what type of jobs they would be able to get in America, so many learned new trades broaden their resumés and hopefully be able to get more jobs.
As a psychologist, she found work fairly quickly and her hobby became dormant.
It wasn’t until one day she went to an estate sale. Everything was very extravagant and expensive, not wanting to leave empty handed, Berlinsky found a bag full of lace hidden away. She was reminded of the beauty of lace and quickly asked how much the bag of lace was and they stated “$10 for the whole bag.”
After bringing it home, her hobby was alive again.
Oh, were you wondering what was in the bag? She went to a collector to get it appraised and found out that one of the pieces was work $150…woah!
So, want to learn more about lace? Here ya go!
- There are over 150 different types of lace
- The main types of lace are known as Bobbin, Needle Lace, Frivolite and Crochet
- For collectors, the value of the lace is measured from 0-5 stars
- It is rated based on difficulty, thinness of thread, age, rarity, the time spent making
- Handmade lace has not been handmade in over 100 years.
- Popular Countries of Origin for Lace – Belgium, France, Ireland, and Italy
- The most valuable lace is Figural Lace, with figures of animal or people
- To care for your lace you can use acid free albums or boxes, dry not hot climate, and ventilating on a regular basis, should not be in direct light or under glass.
I hope you enjoyed this post and maybe next time you’re at a tag sale you can check for some lace!